Recipe shared by the Edible Gardening Project in their Field Kitchen at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh on day 5 of the Culture Kitchen Relay
500g potatoes (peeled if preferred) chopped into large chunks
50g unsalted butter
1 large onion
350g mixed vegetables; finely sliced cabbage, kale and kohl rabi
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g Isle of Mull grated cheddar cheese
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
2. Drain and return to the pan.
3. Add half of the butter to the potatoes and mash well.
4. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and fry the onions and mixed vegetables for a few minutes (approximately 5-10) until tender.
5. Add the mixed vegetables to the pan with the potatoes.
6. Stir in the grated cheese, heat through and serve.
7. Alternatively, if cooking inside with an oven, put the mix into an oven proof dish, sprinkle on more grated cheese and bake at 200°c until piping hot and golden brown on top.
A festive Italian inspired recipe using Scottish ingredients shared by Eileen Wilkinson at Petrie Fine Foods on day 2 of the Relay. Makes 1 x 8” pie
Ingredients for rough puff pastry:
150g plain flour
75g butter, fridge cold and chopped into small squares
90ml very cold water
Pie filling ingredients:
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano
1 Tablespoon butter
150g cooked spinach
1 plain crowdie cheese
30g Dunlop cheese, grated
salt and black pepper
200g cooked potato, cubed
1 small egg
1 Tablespoon double cream
Puff pastry method:
1. Very roughly mix together flour, salt and butter using a fork. Does not have to be well mixed.
2. Add water and draw together. Turn out on to a well floured surface.
3. Roll out to 1 cm thickness, fold over in thirds. Roll again and repeat approx. 6 times. The dough will be very rough at first with lumps of the butter so don’t worry, it will become smoother.
4. Wrap in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for 2 hours (while it’s in the fridge you can get on with the filling for the pie, see below). Roll and fold again 3-4 times. Divide in two, roll out one piece to line dish and other piece for top of pie.
1. Finely chop and sauté onion in butter until soft, add garlic and oregano and sauté for another minute or two, then cool.
2. Lightly wilt the spinach in a bit of water, cool, drain and chop
3. Mix together the cheeses, salt and pepper.
4. Peel potatoes, chop into cubes and boil until just cooked, then cool.
5. Beat egg. Gently fold together all the ingredients in a bowl. Only add cream if necessary to moisten.
6. Line pie dish with half the pastry and add filling, then gather up the sides of the pastry. Put pastry circle on top. Glaze with a little cream or milk.
7. Bake in preheated oven 180°C for 40 mins.